We’ve all heard the nightmarish stories of bad remodeling experiences. Some homeowners have really had a difficult time with something that should be a routine remodeling project. When you are remodeling your kitchen, you will want to make sure that you are not making any major mistakes that will cause you to not get the most out of your new kitchen. Here are 6 major kitchen remodeling mistakes that you will want to avoid:
1. No one ever wants their kitchen to look boring or bland, so to avoid this you will want to add something fun or creative into the space. Just one item can change the personality of the room and turn it into a space that is warm, cozy and fun.
2. Many people do not extend their cabinets all of the way up to the ceiling and that can cause problems. Most people use the reasoning that they cannot reach anything on the top shelves, but they do not realize that they will have to get up to the top of the cabinets once in a while anyway. The tops of the cabinets will collect dust and need to be cleaned and it is too easy to collect too many unnecessary accessories and other items and store them on top. The space can quickly become cluttered.
3. It can be quite easy to overdesign a kitchen and it can be difficult to know when to scale back on the design. Your local contractor and designer can help you with this difficult task.
4. Stainless steel appliances are appearing in every house, but it can cause a kitchen to look off balance. You now have some wonderful cabinetry covers that you can choose from and use to conceal some of your appliances, which will make the kitchen feel warmer and cozier.
5. Bigger kitchens are not always better and a smaller kitchen that is designed properly can function better than the largest kitchen available.
6. There might be a few items where you can skimp on the quality of the materials that you use, but cabinets should not be one of those items. You will be using your cabinets and drawers quite frequently and cheaper materials will fall apart and need replacing much sooner.
By avoiding major kitchen remodeling mistakes, you should be able to enjoy your new kitchen for many years. We can help you design the kitchen of your dreams as long as you tell us what you want and how you plan to use your kitchen. Just make sure that you plan for the future as well, so that you do not have to make any changes a couple of years from now. Give us a call at @Design Remodel at 508-477-9003 if you’re in the Cape Cod area to talk about your kitchen remodeling project.