Tile has been a mainstay in homes for many years now, but the designs, size, and styles are continuously changing. With so many options available to you, you need to know the basics about tile and your options. This article is designed to give you a basic understanding of the shapes, sizes, and designs of tile available today.
Here are 6 things everyone needs to know about tile:
1. Shape: You do not need to choose a boring square tile anymore, unless of course, that is the shape that you want in your home. We do recommend checking out some of the newest shapes though, as you may find yourself falling in love with the rhomboids, diamonds, hexagons, and round tiles that are now available.
2. Grout: Grout used to be used to seal the areas between the tiles, but now you can use it to change the look of the tile as well. To bring out the pattern of tiles, we recommend going bold and using grout that has a contrasting color to the tiles. If you do not want your tiles to stand out too much, you will want to use a grout that matches the color of your tiles.
3. Layout: Laying tiles out in a boring row is a thing of the past, as homeowners like yourself are choosing to add a little flair to a room with creative layouts. We recommend considering a zigzag, chevron, or herringbone layout to see how it looks in your space.
4. Texture: Texturized tiles add depth to the room. Tiles that look and feel like stone are quite popular, but newer tiles that look and feel like lace or tweed are quickly gaining ground.
5. Mix and Match: There is no reason why you need to choose one tile style for a specific room inside your home. Today’s tiles can easily be mixed and matched to create eclectic spaces.
6. 3D: The newest tiles are three dimensional and they add a lot of visual appeal to a room. The depth of these tiles is enhanced when light hits them from different angles. The flooring will offer a different appeal based on lighting and the angle from which it is viewed.
You have so many options today when it comes to tile, and you can easily spend hours choosing the one that will look the best in each room of your home. We recommend taking the time to check out the newest tiles, because the look that you create will keep you happy for many years. Contact us at 508-477-9003 if you would like more information about choosing tile for your home or to schedule an appointment for a design consultation if you’re ready to remodel your home.