How Long Does It Take To Remodel A Bath Or Kitchen?
The length of time it will take to remodel a Cape Cod bath or kitchen
depends upon several factors:
- Size of project. Is it a minor upgrade or a full scale make over?
- Age of home. Typically older homes will take more time to remodel due to outdated plumbing and electrical. Structural issues maybe a factor.
- If the house was built before 1978 we are required to assume lead paint is present and we need to take a different approach than with houses built after 1978. The EPA issues fines of $37,000 per day to those who ignore the requirements of the law.
- Does the space involve custom materials and on site construction?
- Are there outside limitations? ie. Homeowners association does not allow work during certain time periods.
For Clients of @designREMODEL, this is what you can expect:
- Standard bathroom make over: Five to ten working days.
- Complete make over with custom work: Twenty to forty working days.
- Kitchen update: Five to fifteen working days.
- Standard kitchen update: Twenty to forty working days.
- Complete make over with custom work: Thirty to sixty working days.
Each project has its own requirements and quirks and we have to adjust the schedule at times. Typically we do not start any project until we have all of the components checked and ready to go whenever possible.
What Does It Cost to Remodel A Kitchen Or Bath On Cape Cod?
We frequently get inquiries about the cost of remodeling projects here on Cape Cod. Given that every house, project and homeowner is different, it can be challenging to provide a specific number without going through the process of looking at every aspect of a project which is time consuming. Design, selecting products and fixtures, calling suppliers and trade partners. Which can on average take about 8-12 hours on a small bath remodel!
Enter Remodeling Magazine, which is one of the best trade magazines for Remodelers and for the last 23 years, and has undertaken the research, leg work and math on an annual basis on the costs of a wide range of projects. Below are some examples of projects that we extracted from their data. These are similar to projects that @designREMODEL has completed for clients across Cape Cod.
1. Basement Remodel $66,675
2. Bathroom Addition $40,753
3. Bathroom Remodel $17,460
4. Minor Kitchen Remodel $19,885
5. Major Kitchen Remodel $58,982
For the most part, we have found that the project costs compiled by Remodeling Magazine are consistent with what we and others in the market are charging. While there is variation from project to project, the averages are right in line with reality.
In many ways, the costs of remodeling have followed a similar trajectory to the cost of purchasing a new car or truck. Costs have escalated as manufacturers add new features, use new materials and add higher labor costs, research and development and regulatory compliance. It all adds up!
It’s not all unusual for a new fully loaded SUV to cost upwards of $60K, much like the Major Kitchen remodel listed above at about $59K. Yet, after 5 years, most vehicles are heavily depreciated and you are ready for a new one. The kitchen on the other hand, is only one quarter into its life expectancy of 20 years!
Note: The costs above are averages for New England and are for projects considered “mid-range” in scope and cost.
“© 2011 Hanley Wood, LLC. Complete data from the Remodeling 2011–12 Cost vs. Value Report can be downloaded free at www.costvsvalue.com.”
How Can We Help You?
We invite you to contact us with any questions you have about home remodeling. We enjoy helping homeowners navigate the sometimes tricky process of renovating their homes.